March 28, 2017—After just over two years of construction, Kendal at Ithaca has reached the finish line on a $29.3 million expansion and enhancement project. The life care retirement community celebrated the completion of construction March 27 with a Drop-in Open House. Guests toured the new spaces and enjoyed festive food and music.
Kendal at Ithaca undertook the construction project to better serve its current and future residents, staff, volunteers and the community at large. Begun in the winter of 2015, the expansion project includes:
- 24 new apartments with modern amenities, high-end finishes and appliances, bringing the total of independent living residences on-site to 236.
- 70 new covered parking spaces.
- A new 48-bed skilled nursing center (consisting of three households, each with 16 private rooms and easily accessible showers) that embraces a holistic approach to long-term care by promoting comfort and quality of life for those living in them.
- A welcoming new entrance and reception area filled with natural light.
- A new café featuring fresh new menu choices in a casual atmosphere.
- A new fitness center to support Kendal’s extensive health and wellness programs.
- Renovations of the visiting practitioner and health center staff offices, dining rooms, hallways and other common areas.
The new skilled nursing center’s design allows staff to provide an enhanced, person-centered approach to care that gives priority to residents’ preferences and goals. Each wing has a residential feel and includes a kitchen, dining room and living room, with adjoining outdoor space for relaxation and dining.
The new entrance and reception area are designed to give visitors and residents easy access to the new café, fitness center, yoga and aerobics studio, pool and health center. Improvements to outside areas include new walking paths, outdoor courtyards, patios, a driveway with 26-car parking lot at the new entrance and renovation of the existing visitor/entrance parking.
Additionally, expansive wall space offers Kendal at Ithaca’s Art Committee the opportunity to greatly increase the collection of artwork on display. Many local artists have loaned works for exhibit outside of the formal gallery.
In September, Kendal at Ithaca announced that its 24 new, independent living apartment residences had been awarded Gold-level LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification. Kendal at Ithaca has been recognized as a “Sign of Sustainability” in Tompkins County multiple times, and maintaining that commitment to sustainability was an ongoing objective of the project. This complements other ongoing sustainability programs. Waste generated by the dining program, for example, is commercially composted, and residents compost waste from the community garden for use there.
Situated on 105 acres above Lake Cayuga, Kendal at Ithaca’s location near both Cornell University and Ithaca College allows residents to take in extensive cultural, educational and recreational activities. Those interested in learning more about Kendal at Ithaca are invited to call the Marketing Department at 607-266-5300 to schedule a private appointment.