Kendal at Ithaca community members gathered Friday afternoon, Feb. 5, to celebrate the completion of the first phase of a major expansion and enhancement project. Designed to better serve its current and future residents, staff and the community at large, the project has added a new two-story, 24-unit independent living apartment building, with 38 new covered parking spaces, as well as 48 private, skilled nursing rooms to the campus. Click here to view a photo gallery.
Located on 105 acres above Lake Cayuga, the nonprofit continuing care retirement community began construction on the $29.3 million project in the winter of 2014. Kendal at Ithaca’s location near both Cornell University and Ithaca College allows residents to take in extensive cultural, educational and recreational activities.
“On behalf of the entire Kendal at Ithaca community, thank you for coming today,” Dan Governanti, Executive Director of Kendal at Ithaca, said in greeting the assembled guests. ”Even though we still have a year to go on this project, we wanted to recognize this milestone and thank all those who made it happen.”
Kendal at Ithaca’s expansion project includes:
- 24 new apartments with modern amenities, high-end finishes and appliances, bringing the total of independent living residences on site to 236.
- A new 48-bed skilled nursing center (consisting of three households, each with 16 private rooms) that embraces a holistic approach to long-term care by promoting comfort and quality of life for those living in them.
- A welcoming new entrance and reception area filled with natural light.
- A new café featuring fresh new menu choices in a casual atmosphere.
- A new fitness center to support Kendal’s extensive health and wellness programs.
- Renovations of the visiting practitioner and health center staff offices, dining rooms, hallways and other common areas.
The new skilled nursing center’s design allows staff to provide an enhanced, person-centered approach to care that gives priority to residents’ preferences and goals. Each wing has a residential feel and includes a kitchen, dining room and living room, with adjoining outdoor space for relaxation and dining.
The new entrance and reception area are designed to give visitors and residents easy access to the new café, fitness center, yoga and aerobics studio, pool, and health center. Improvements to outside areas include new walking paths, outdoor courtyards, patios, a driveway with 26-car parking lot at the new entrance and renovation of the existing visitor/entrance parking.
Kendal at Ithaca has been recognized as a “Sign of Sustainability” in Tompkins County multiple times, and maintaining that commitment to sustainability has been an ongoing objective of the project. To the extent possible, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) construction standards and other sustainability measures are being incorporated to improve future operations. Developed by the U.S. Green Building Council, LEED standards provide building owners and operators with a concise framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
Kendal at Ithaca projects that 20 new jobs will be created by the expansion, making it one of Ithaca’s larger employers with almost 250 employees.
Those interested in learning more about Kendal at Ithaca should call the Marketing Department at 607-266-5300.