CARF, or Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, is a private, nonprofit organization with entities across the world: CARF for the United States, CARF Canada, and CARF Europe. They provide accreditation for health and human service providers that demonstrate excellence in the quality of provided services. CARF intends to improve the quality of life for health and human service recipients. Institutions must partake in the consultative accreditation process and will receive continuous improvement services. Over the past 50 years providers, consumers, and purchasers of service have helped CARF improve their standards. The overall goal is to promote quality, value, and optimal outcomes of services.
CARF believes in the following values:
- All people have the right to be treated with dignity and respect
- All people should have access to needed services that achieve optimal outcomes
- All people should be empowered to exercise informed choice
- The continuous improvement of both organizational management and service delivery
- Diversity and cultural competence in all CARF activities and associations
- Enhancing the involvement of persons served in all of CARF’s activities
- Persons served being active participants in the development and application of standards and accreditation
- Enhancing the meaning, value, and relevance of accreditation to persons served
CARF offers accreditation through a consultative peer-reviewed process to service providers who exceed these standards and display continuous improvements to the programs and services offered. They conduct research and provide information relevant to measurement of outcomes and management, and present common program strengths and weaknesses. Keeping their values in mind, and through the help of the service providers themselves, CARF is able to maintain and improve the standards for the value and responsiveness of the programs and services for recipients of health and human services.
Kendal at Ithaca is pleased to announce re-accreditation from CARF for another five years. The accreditation applies to the following programs:
- Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Person-Centered Long-Term Care Community
- Dementia Care Specialty Program.
To learn more about CARF, visit their website.