to Kendal at Ithaca
Kendal at Ithaca emerged
from a dream which began in the Fall of 1990, when a small group
of Ithacans met to design a plan whereby people could remain in
Ithaca to enjoy lifelong friends and the educational and cultural
amenities of the area.
Since at the time there
were no such retirement communities in New York State, this was
an enormous undertaking. The original organizing committee
sought a developer, and selected the Kendal Corporation, which
was nationally known for its well-run, financially stable communities.
Venture capital was raised locally, and intensive work with State
government officials, local government groups, university and
college officials, financiers, architects and contractors, resulted
in the first residents' moving in on December 26, 1995.
The 105-acre site was
chosen because of its convenient location and scenic beauty,
and was purchased from Cornell University. The selection of the
site was of special interest to Dale Corson, President Emeritus
of Cornell University. As a young physicist, he was being recruited
to join the faculty at Cornell in the 1940's, and was sent a letter
offering him a choice of sites in a faculty housing project "soon
to be built" on University property in Cayuga Heights. Dale
Corson and his wife Nellie did accept the position at Cornell,
but the houses were never built. Exactly 50 years later they
moved into Kendal at Ithaca, on the very site of the promised
Kendal at Ithaca, became
the first continuing care retirement community to open in New
York State, and has brought to this area people from 21 states
and 2 other countries. It has been the focus of national
media attention, especially because of its college/university
connections, and has become a positive and respected presence
in the local community.